Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Friendly Game of Fifty-Two Pick-Up Ends in Tears, Mess

The only card game I have ever enjoyed was a baseball based card game that four or five of us briefly played at lunch in high school, until I accidentally left the deck in my pocket and it went through the wash. I can't remember what it was called, and I imagine googling "baseball card game" will produce too many results to sift through. So let's just call it "Wild Cardz". That sounds believable and baseball related.

So it was much to my chagrin when I went over to my rich cousins house and despite their multiple pinball machines and 8 foot rock-climbing wall/bunk beds my lame cousin asked if I wanted to play cards instead of doing something that didn't suck.

I knew I had to feign interest or else he would lose interest in me and I would have to return home and help shovel mulch from the back of a truck into smaller piles in our driveway, avoiding doing work was the whole reason I had gone over to my cousins in the first place, so I reluctantly said yes, I would indeed play cards.

"But wait fair cousin" I began, "We should play this fun new game I just learned. Do you want to play it?"

"Sure!!" He replied, "Is it like Crazy Eights?"

"Umm it's pretty much the same, except we'll need to use all four of these decks to play. It's called Fifty-Two Pickup." (Editors Note: I am well aware this would in fact be Two Hundred and
Eight Plus Jokers Plus How to Play Bridge Pick Up)

One of the decks was brand new, so that obviously needed to be shuffled before we could play.
I told my cousin I had injured my fingers on my left hand by accidentally putting them in the toaster, so he would have to shuffle as well as get me a cool beverage to soothe my wounds.

The cards were ready, my Coke Zero was refreshing...it was the moment of truth. I could still back out of throwing all the cards on the floor and telling him to pick them up, but then I would have to play Crazy Eights with four whole decks, I realize now that the length of Crazy Eights is not affected by the number of cards used....that realization could have saved me some drama.

It was too late, I grabbed the cards and tossed them in the air, "FIFTY TWO PICK UP!" I yelled.
I grabbed my belly in mock laughter, telling my cousin now he had to pick up all the cards or else I would tell everyone he was Arch Lord Fife Twoo-loserin.

I never got a chance to introduce his Lordship to the world because my cousin broke down.
I mean the cards weren't even that widely dispersed, sure he has small hands but he could pick them up in under a minute, and reorganize them into their respective decks in another ten.

Under threats of "I'm telling on you" I ran away, all the way home.
Oh no! My parents are still in the drive way doing "chores", if they see me they'll force me to help and I'll be easy pickings for forced apologies once my aunt calls to pass on what happened.

I manned up and did the mature thing, I hid in the downstairs tub with my laptop until the storm blew over. By the time dinner was prepared all was almost forgotten, I was able to claim my cousin mistakenly remembered the events and also got to watch the Jays destroy the Reds instead of doing work.

All in all another excellent day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am glad it happened to him and not me. i am also glad that i seem to be the only person who actually managed to get you to play Crazy 8's for realsies.