Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Pre-emptive Strike Against Richard Griffin

I feel I have a pretty good handle of what makes hated Toronto Star columnist Richard Griffin tick. He hates anything related to "Moneyball", supports the idea that JP Ricciardi is interested only in white players, and feels common sense is optional for column writing.

After todays unfortunate Jays defeat he will write an insane column about Reed Johnson and how the Jays would be a million games better if they had not waived him. He was against the move from the get go and if he doesn't jump on this opportunity to talk about how the Jays don't value "intangibles", and grittiness", and other nonsense I will be shocked.

Did I like Reed Johnson? Sure I did, by all accounts he seemed like a great guy, and the fact he was a small white guy likely did wonders for his reputation (cough Eckstein cough).

But the fact remains that he is currently a below average offensive player coming off a few injury plagued years and right now the Jays are in the same place without him as they have always been with him. Barely above mediocrity.

In hindsight is Johnson playing better than the hydra consisting of Mench, Wilkerson, Stewart, Lind, and Coats? Yes he is, but he's still not having a great year. His homer today was only his second, and he's only OPSing in the mid-700s. Had the Jays kept him how much better off would they be? A game or two at most?

I'm also predicting Griffin will take the insane position that the Jays clubhouse is worse off for losing Johnson's inherent grittiness (read: whiteness), and that this is hurting the team greatly.

I'm praying he does do this. Supporting the opposite positions that the Jays are racist and favor white (gritty) ball players and also that the Jays were dumb to waive an average gritty (white) ball player in favor of an average African-American (not-gritty) player will please me greatly.

Please Rick (can I call you Rick?) don't let me down, I know you can do it.

It's in you, I can feel it.

No comments: